Tough Jobs : Understanding and Managing Vicarious Trauma and Burnout
This workshop explores the “costs of caring” and provides information, self-audit, skills and self-care processes and tools to support professionals working with complex clients and caseloads and those in roles where there is a close connection between the service provider and the client. The key concepts are defined and then early warning signs, symptoms and observable behaviours are identified and discussed. The personal and organisational aspects of practice are reviewed and numerous individual preventative strategies are discussed.
- Define concepts of vicarious trauma, secondary trauma, compassion fatigue and burnout
- Identify early warnings signs and symptoms of these conditions
- Develop strategies for increased self-care and resilience
- Review effective interventions individually and organisationally
- Implement individual preventative strategies and a self-care action plan including vicarious resilience